DISCOVER OUR STORY
The land where the Memorial Hall & Templestowe RSL is situated, now know as 156 Parker Street Templestowe 3106, was originally purchased from the Lands Department in two lots by two local landholders, who donated it to the people of Templestowe for the building of a Memorial Hall to honour those men from the district who fell and served in World War 1 from 1914 – 1918.
The Hall was built and completed in 1922 by the Council for use by returned soldiers and local citizens, under a trust deed arrangement until 1948, when the Templestowe RSL received its official Charter under the Presidency of Mr. Ted Sheahan, a 1st World War veteran.
On 10th November 1954 the Memorial Hall ownership was transferred to the Shire of Doncaster & Templestowe who, in return gifted the vacant Lot 2 in 1955 in order that a Sub-branch building could be constructed for the use of local returned servicemen.
A clubhouse was constructed by members and the original building was extended in 1997 just in time for the 50th anniversary of the official Charter of Templestowe RSL Inc. With three trustees in control of the land and premises – Namely Gerald Flanagan, Norman Morrison and Rodney Smith.
An official opening of the extended premises was later commissioned by the late RSL State President, Bruce Ruxton in 1998.
Everything remained static until the trustees and committee made a decision to sell the land and premises at 156 Parker Street back to the Manningham City Council in December 2020 in return for a 20-year leaseback on commercial terms. Part of the sale terms were for the Council to renovate the premises, complete with a modern fully equipped kitchen, plus other amenities and improvements for use by club and community member functions.
As can be seen from the foregoing, the land and clubhouse have now completed a full circle over recent decades, whilst still remaining for the use and benefit of the RSL and local community members.
It can now look forward to a promising future.
Christmas in July